- 6 cloves garlic, peeled, chopped
- 2 tablespoons ginger, peeled, grated
- 1/4 cup calamansi juice
- 1 bunch lemongrass (tanglad), bulb finely chopped
- 1 whole chicken, cut into 6 pieces
- bamboo sticks, for spearing
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 teaspoon anatto seeds (atsuete)
- salt, to taste
- soy sauce, to taste
- coconut sap vinegar (sukang tuba), to serve
- siling labuyo, to serve
- In a large bowl, combine garlic, ginger, calamansi juice, and tanglad. Marinate chicken at least 30 minutes. Soak bamboo sticks in water.
- Meanwhile, in a pan over medium heat, heat oil. Add atsuete seeds and cook, stirring occasionally, to release its color into the oil. Use a slotted spoon to remove and discard seeds.
- Heat up a charcoal grill or preheat a grill pan over medium heat. Remove chicken from marinade. Season with salt and ground black pepper. Spear chicken with soaked bamboo sticks.
- Brush chicken with atsuete oil. Place on the grill and cook until cooked through, basting with atsuete oil regularly. Serve with garlic rice, atsara, and a mixture of soy sauce, sukang tuba, and sili, if desired.